Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Presence Process

Hey, I'm going through a book about present moment awareness.
I thought I would blog about it in a journal style.
enjoy.
It's written by Michael Brown, aka John Locke.














Week 1 of the Presence Process was about 'choosing to experience the present moment'
Through a series of introspective breathing exercises I have discovered that I am always thinking in either the past or the future.
I am either rehearsing something that is upcoming or replaying and analyzing what I have already done.
I don't know if that is product of the hyper-culture or if I'm just scatter brained.
I've found that when I read, my mind drifts off.  My eyes continue to scan sentences at the same rate but I am thinking about something totally unrelated.  If I want to read for comprehension then I have to go back and find where I lost my trail.

I remember when I was in 3rd grade.  I had to read the book 'A Light in the Forest' and do a book report.  It was a pretty cool book about a white 4 year-old who was abducted by native americans and raised as a tribal son.  In his teens he was 'reclaimed' and launched into western civilization.  The boy was rebellious to the western clothes and white walls that suffocated him.

When I wrote the book report the story bled into a telling of the Disney movie 'Watcher in the Woods' (staring the sex crazy girl from the James Bond movie 'For Your Eyes Only')which I'd just seen prior to reading the book.  There was also a part where the white indian boy had a crush on the girl I sat next to, Betsy Phaus.  Then it degraded into a part were alien monsters that fought robot dinosaurs.

I was definitely not experiencing the present moment when I read that book.





1 comment:

Michael said...

Who is John Locke?

Kind regards,

Michael Brown.